December 08, 2011

Chain and Ribbon Jewelry

This is probably the easiest and simplest project I have done in a very long time!
The result is beautiful, and everyone will be impressed. =)

It can be a necklace or bracelet:

Wrap 2 or 3 times around the wrist:

Materials:

Chain - You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot, or even a small dog leash chain would do. You will need pliers if you have to shorten the lenght.

Ribbon - I used a 5/8" width but next time I'll use a "fatter" ribbon

Scissors

To prevent the ribbon from fraying, there are two options: 
Using a lighter or using clear nail polish. 
But before you do the "heat and seal" method with a lighter, make sure the ribbon is made of synthetic material like polyester, which will melt at the ends when heated. Ribbon made of silk or cotton will just burn, so you will need to use the clear nail polish method instead, by just dapping it on the ends. 

Let's get started! 
With one end of the ribbon, and singe it with a lighter, or use a stove like I did because I couldn't find a lighter in the house. The ribbon doesn't have to touch the fire....just get it close enough and it will melt. It only take a few seconds and it goes fast:


Take the singe end and weave it through the links. I weaved it through each link, back and forth, but you can do every other link to create a different design:


When you get to the end, pull approximately 8 inches of the ribbon through (however long you prefer. Keep in mind you need enough to tie a bow). Then tie a knot at the end of the chain by weaving it through the last link:


Pull the same amount of ribbon on the other end, cut, singe, and tie a knot on the last link:


Now you have something that looks like this:

Tie knots at the end of the ribbons like this:

Wrap it around your neck or wrist, tie a bow. Done!

Good luck!

11 comments:

  1. I love this! I love how easy it is and that you can make one in every color for a great price!
    Thanks for the tutorial...I found you on Totally Tutorials Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very easy to do but it is sooo elegant and nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this would be perfect for my first attempt at jewelry making! So easy, and this necklace looks so versatile! Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @memoriesforlifescrapbooks

    Thank you! Your dog is adorable. Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jenni
    Thank you Jenni! Your "The Prudence Jacket" looks amazing and you have the cutest model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thanks. :) Hey, do you know how long your chain was? My sister and I might try this tonight. We're in the mood for an easy craft. ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jenni, the chain is 12 inches and the ribbon is 29 inches. Have a a fun craft night!

      Delete
    3. I finally got around to putting together a post about the chain jewelry my sister and I made following your tutorial! Do you mind if I use one picture from your post with the link back to here so my readers can come see your original instructions? I wanted your permission before I published it. :)

      Delete
    4. Hi Jenni! Of course I don't mind. Post away, and I look forward to reading it. I hope this worked out for you and your sister! So happy to did it. =)

      Delete
    5. Here is the post: http://jennisrandomramblings.blogspot.com/2012/04/chain-bracelets.html
      Thanks again :)

      Delete