March 22, 2011

Spring Wall

Ok I lied. I really thought my next project would involve embroidering. But this project I just finished popped up last minute and I couldn't wait. =) I went to Pottery Barn Kids and scored a Small Catalina Magazine Rack in the clearance section. I have been looking for a book rack for the Boo's nursery, and I even heard of other clever moms using Ikea Spice Racks as a solution. But I saw the PBK one and couldn't resist. It was a floor model but in perfect condition without any marks or scratches. I got it for $27, originally $70!

I knew exactly where I want it hang it, but the rest of the wall was a bit "blah". Spring is here, and I want to do something to reflect that. And so I got my paints out, and ta-da:


From a different angle:


Here is the book rack.  It is about 18 inches in width. It is not big, but as you can see, it hold a decent amount of small to medium sized board books:


I didn't paint a lot; just the word "Bloom" and the two butterflies. I feel that these small details made a big impact on the "Spring" wall:

I had these letter stencils that at one time I thought were cute. Now....not so much. I am on the fence about it. I may repaint it with a different font. But it's ok for the moment. =)


Boo had fun putting books in, and taking them out all afternoon. It is true what everyone says about book racks (as opposed to book shelves) - it's easier for kids to see and reach the books, thus they spend more time "reading". Yay!

Do you like it?

1 comment:

  1. K, raingutters make good book racks too.
    http://tsanghome.com/baby/brend14th/index.html
    scroll down a bit. We made these for $10!!!

    ReplyDelete