March 09, 2011

Headphone Onesie

I made onesies for girls in my last post, and can't leave the boys out! So I thought really hard about cool boy stuff. One thing that popped into my mind was headphones. For some reason, it is all Boy, Cool, Punk, Retro...yet Simple and Basic. Does that even make sense?

It is easy to do. I found a headphone shape I like online, and trace/drew it on a piece of paper.  Cut out the shape and used it as a template on the Steam a Seam (double-fused). If you want to see step by step instructions and pictures about this part, check out my Superhero Wrist Cuffs post.  I followed its directions to bond the fleece or felt or jersey knit material onto the onesie. Then I used embroidery needle and thread to make straight stitched all around the headphone.


Ok, so it looks a little bit like ear muffs, but I know that they are supposed to be headphones. Haha.


The only slight issue I had was the placement of the thread knot. The knot is in the inside of the onesie, and I am not sure if that will scratch or irritate the baby's skin. What I should have done (if I actually thought this through instead of winging it!) was to have the knot on the outside, and make a stitch over it so it is covered.  *smack to the head* Duh!  

I wanted to make this as a gift...so I used iron-on backing to cover stitching inside the shirt. Now the inside is soft!


I am on an embroidering kick, so I'm thinking the next project will also involve needle and thread. =)

Good luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment