May 16, 2011

Rainbow Cakes





The color layers turned out so good! I used regular white cake batter and added Wilton's gel food coloring. 


I learned that the top of the cakes are significantly flatter and less dome shaped if I have the pans (filled with batter) in the oven as I preheat it:


Cutting the little top "dome" to get a flat surface. Then in half to get 2 layers per cake:

All the pretty colors:

Stacking:

The 2 cakes - make sure the bottom and top layers are the bottoms of a cake layer:

Between each layer is a some buttercream frosting:

Starting the thin layer of buttercream frosting crumb coat. I put it in the fridge to let the frosting harden a bit:

Then it was the first layer of pink frosting, then back in the fridge again:

After the second layer of pink frosting, I used a triangle cake decorating tool to make the lines:
This is what you do:


You put it on the side of the cake and swirling it around. Having a lazy susan is a definite must. I had to put more frosting on the cake than normal because the triangle tool takes it off as it makes the design:


I piped "hershey kisses" at the bottom:


And then some on top:

Seriously so pretty inside:


More cake please!:


There is the second cake. I played around with already-made fondant. It was just like play-dough:



No comments:

Post a Comment