January 08, 2012

Yellow Skirt

When I was pregnant, I got this pretty mustard yellow skirt in a size 10 on clearance. I was so excited. However, I was only able to wear it for a few weeks - the skirt got too small as I got more pregnant. The skirt got too big as I got unpregnant.
[Please excuse the wrinkles]

It's been sitting in my closet over 2 years, collecting dust because I can't wear it. One day, I couldn't take it anymore, and slimmed down the sides within 5 minutes. Love it!

What made it easy was that the skirt has the zipper on the back. So altering the sides won't be a problem.
I used the French seam technique - the same way how I slimmed down the sleeves of a blue dress a few months ago.
I took a skirt with a similar style that fits me comfortably, and laid it on top of this yellow skirt. I literally took a Sharpie [which I don't really recommend, heh heh] and drew a line down both sides adding a tad bit more to the width...maybe about 1/8":

I sew on the lines I drew, cut off the excess fabric, turned it inside out, and sew another line which  encased the raw hem inside. The best part is that the pockets on the sides are still there!
Now I can wear it again. 
So happy.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment