October 17, 2013

Funkins, Craft Pumpkins

I discovered craft pumpkins a few years ago when I wanted to keep my pumpkin carving creations forever. They look like the real thing. I use the same tools and carve them exactly how I would with real pumpkins. Joann's sells Funkins, and Michael's sells craft pumpkins. I actually haven't checked Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure they sell them too.

There are a couple differences between the two. First, the price factor - Funkins are more expensive. Second - Funkins have a hole at the bottom of it already cut out (to stick a battery operated light or candle in). Michael's craft pumpkins do not, so I carved one out. Third - both craft pumpkins are already hollow, but the inside of Funkins are orange, and the inside of Michael's craft pumpkins are an off-white/yellowish color.  They are made of low–density polyurethane foam, and it gets messy with all the little pieces flying off as you carve.

In the end, those differences do not have a great impact on the results, especially in the dark.  I got two craft pumpkins from Michael's, and went to work.

Boo requested Princess Tiana and Ariel. I Googled photos for inspiration and found the perfect ones of 1) Tiana and the frog kissing and 2) Ariel on a rock. I printed them out to size, and used them as my templates:


Tiana


Ariel


Now that I have a few carving experiences under my belt, I know to carve out the small details first, then move on to the bigger pieces to avoid cracking and breakage. I am so excited to show you my "carvations"!


Here, I just cut out Tiana. Then I'll start to fine tune and smooth the lines:


Untitled


IMG_1193


IMG_1188


IMG_1185


Pretty cool, right? =)


Untitled

Good luck!
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment