October 17, 2013

Planting Succulents

I wanted to give planting succulents a try. With the help from a friend, I made a pretty arrangement!

Each pot was about $2, with the one in the terra cotta pot being $3.50. They were from Lowe's and Home Depot:

Untitled

I was able to separate some plants, so one little pot gave me 3 or 4 little ones:

IMG_1097

I planted away. My friend gave me some tips and suggestions on how to make it look better, such as the height and color placements. Then we added green dry moss over the soil as a filler, giving it a finished look. Ta da, don't you love it?

Untitled

I put my creation on my dining table, where it looked excellent for 2 weeks. I watered it once. Then all of a sudden...I started seeing little flies, and some plants were not looking so great. I immediately texted my friend, and she said it is probably fungus gnats. Wah! My hard work going down the drain! I took the whole thing outside to dry out under the sun, and it got better. But a few plants were at the point of no return. So I decided to replant it. The next day, I went back to Home Depot and got some replacements:

Untitled

This time around, I put some rocks at the bottom of the platter first, then the cactus soil. I also realized that my dining table gets zero sunlight, which succulents need at least 4 hours a day. Also, I learned that the darker, greener succulents are more hardy, and are able to survive my brown thumb. The waxier, plastic plant types are far better off and more kind to me than the softer, fuzzier succulents.

This will stay outside, and I hope this time, everything will stay alive:
Untitled

Good luck!
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment