November 12, 2010

1st Birthday Party

Boo had her first birthday, and the party theme was Alice in Wonderland. I had such a blast planning and crafting!
These are the invitations I made. I absolutely love this and think it is clever (if I say so myself).  I am so proud of it:

It is a pocket watch that swivels with the help of a little gem bracket! I made everything in  Powerpoint.  I then used a Fiskars circle cutter and its circle template, careful to start and stop where the yellow top is.  Do not cut a full circle! I then hand cut the top part, colored in the purple and small-hole punched it. I got a pack of mini gem brackets from Michael's, and put the two pieces together. The clock tells the date and time of the party.
The envelope liner was wrapping paper I got from Ikea 2 years ago.  I thought it looked whimsical and perfect for the theme. I made a template on cardstock. I traced the actual envelope, then cut 1/2 inch smaller all the way around. Then just glue to the inside.

First thing the guests saw was the balloons and signs. I had made signs that said "This Way", "That Way", "Where", etc. all over the front lawn with arrows going in all directions. When we bought our current house, the agent left those "For Sale" signs that you stick in the grass. I just use posterboards and duct taped the back. Worked like a charm.
I also made this cards and red roses inspired wreath on the front door. It is supposed to be cheesy and unrealistic. I got one of those green foam wreaths, 2 decks of cards, and 1 bunch of roses from the Dollar Store.  I arranged the cards in the order I want, then taped it together. Each ring of cards have two card layers - one with the faces and one with numbers. I glue the 2 layers together, then hot glued the large ring of cards to the back of the wreath.  I did the same for the small ring of cards and glued it to the front of the wreath. Then I stuck the bunch of roses in the middle to cover the hole. Bend the stems in the back, and duct tape.  The last step is to cut a short piece of ribbon and pin it in the back, then hang. I used my X'mas wreath hanger over the door.


One of the foods I made was these mini "cupcakes". They are actually Reese's Pieces, with a piping of buttercream frosting and topped with a chocolate chip. They were so easy to make and delicious:

I made this card table runner. For some reason I can't find a picture with just the runner, so here it is with the cakes (both from Albertson's and the round smash cake was free!):


  I used 2 decks of cards and designed it how I wanted. Then I used zig zag stitch and ran it through the sewing machine row by row.  It is hard to see, but at the ends, I hole punch along the long sides and tied with yellow ribbon.

The neat thing about this runner is that you can fold it up like this:
Here is the gift table and random blow up flamingos on the stair rail (found at the Dollar Store):
At Michael's, there were bunny ear headbands and crowns for $1 each. At the Dollar Store, I found Alice in Wonderland books and even one that is made of foam for the little babies! It was SUCH a score that I immediately phoned The Husband at the store, and almost yelled "OH MY GOSH IT IS MEANT TO BE!"
In the basket are some candy favors for the adults. They were in a pink glassine bag I have left over from another project, with a heart from the Ikea wrapping paper in front, tied with a yellow ribbon.  In the big bag were toy favors for the older kids - a bubbles kit. The canvas tree is a....guestbook, if you will.  I drew/painted a tree onto the canvas (bought from Big lots, $7). Then printed The Baby's 1st Birthday underneath. For both, I used graphite paper. I discovered this material recently and it was a "So THAT'S how other people did it!" moment. Basically I had the canvas, then layered the graphite paper, then the image I want on top. Then trace over the image with a pencil or a dried up pen, and I was left with a perfect print on the canvas!
At the party, each guest stamped a finger on to the tree, creating a "leaf". Now we have a wonderful keepsake! Unfortunately, some guests had to leave early and didn't get a chance to do this. I cannot believe over 40 people helped celebrate the special day with us! So blessed to have lovely friends and family.


Absolute preciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment