November 03, 2010

Kid's Reward System

I used to work with children before I quit my job to be a stay at home mom. I am all for positive reinforcement.  Here is one example of a rewards chart I made.  The theme can be anything the child is interested in - from bees to SpongeBob to Thomas the Train to Princesses. At times, I would have to make a few different ones for one child, and s/he would choose which chart to use for that week.  Those of you who have children know how quickly they change their minds!

First I found the honeycomb image online and traced it. I colored it in, and glued it to the orange paper. Then I laminated it.  I found the bee image on Microsoft Word clipart. I printed, cut, and laminated them individually. Then I just used sticky back velcro on each bee.

This is what it looks like without the Bee rewards. Every time the child does what s/he was told, or s/he did a great job sharing toys with a sibling/friend, etc., s/he receives a Bee.  When the s/he gets all 9 Bees, s/he receives a bigger reward.  For example, going to a special place that the family does not go often (ice cream shop...? Since it's 81 degrees here in NOVEMBER). Or perhaps the child's pick of one item at the Dollar Store. The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment