November 04, 2010

Nursery Decor

When I decorated the nursery for the first time, I went with a gender neutral theme.  It was with little farm animals. My sister-in-law painted canvas' to match.  The room was small and the furniture took up most of the space, so I didn't do much on the walls. But I did get one thing, and that's the Wall Candy Arts "Seasons Tree".  I stick the vinyl decals over the crib wall. And I was happy with it. It was cute.

Then we moved. 

I was excited yet overwhelmed with decorating a nursery the second time with a 6 month old. The first thing I did was to have the walls painted a tan/oatmeal color just like the original nursery.  Then came the espresso colored furniture and the same vinyl decals over the crib (but in a different formation). The end.  Months passed and still nothing on the walls.   

Finally I decided to go with a really girly theme, and thought of something super simple to do: tissue paper pom poms! Straight off from the Martha Stewart's website.  However, I looped a string through the floral wire to I can hang them. For some pom poms, I used different shades (in the same color family) tissue papers to give more dimension and interest. The best thing about this project was that it costed me nothing! I had everything already...and people think I'm weird for saving/collecting tissue paper.  


For this larger one, I used 2 less sheets of tissue paper.  Then crumbled and waded a piece of hot pink tissue paper, and glued it in the middle:

The Husband picked out the pink curtains! Well, I did say it is going to be super girly. The baby swing has since been removed because Boo got too big.  The red [diaper] trash can doesn't match anymore - I need to get another one.  Sorry this is really a bad picture. It does not do the furniture or the curtains justice at all. By the way, the furniture pieces are a matching set; I don't know why the colors are so off:


Another wall - I found the "Bloom" vinyl stickers at Kohl's for $3:

I lost the picture of the crib wall somehow, but here is part of the Seasons Tree decal.  You can use all the stickers for one large tree, or separate them to make two smaller trees. Everyone asks me if it is a painting and they are so surprised when they see it's not. =)  I got the brown shelf from Big Lots, a set of 2 for about $8.  I put the baby monitor there...it's suppose to blend in and look like a tree branch:

On the last wall, I got 4 large picture frames that hold multiple photos each. I lined them up all in the row.  Thank goodness the handyman was there to help measure and hang them evenly. We had hired him to replace a chandelier amongst other things, so I added that task to his list.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment